Members of the Georgia Council of Professional Archaeologists are professional archaeologists actively working in the state of Georgia. Membership in GCPA is not a requirement to earn contracts to do archaeology in Georgia.
The purposes of the Council are:
- — To provide an opportunity for professional archaeologists working in Georgia to share their efforts, knowledge, and information to improve and coordinate their professional activities in those matters that are appropriate, and for the benefit and advancement of archaeology, especially in Georgia.
- — To cooperate with and advise other organizations working in related and allied fields.
- — To encourage the dissemination of information concerning archaeology in Georgia.
- — To encourage maintenance of the highest professional standards in archaeology.
- — To develop proposals for State archaeological programs and to work to get those programs implemented.